Indemnity Insurance cover period runs from 1 April to 31 March each year. If you join part way through the year, the Insurance premium is still due 1 April each year. The Insurance Company does not accept pro-rata.
Comprehensive NHPNZ endorsed liability insurance cover is available to approved student members.
As a Student Member, you need to be training with a “recognised training establishment” or Professional Association of the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand.
The cover is subject to the students being under direct/strict supervision of a qualified tutor and any treatment they partake in must be approved first by the tutor.
Download from the website, and complete a ‘Student Membership Application’ form and send it in to the office of the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand with your payment. Your Insurance Certificate, student membership certificate and a tax invoice receipt will be posted to you.
This is a fully comprehensive insurance cover. Comprehensive Cover includes:
General and Products Liability
Legal liability arising out of an occurrence in connection with the Business.
Legal Liability as a result of any employee of the Insured sustaining personal injury arising out of or in the course of work, which is not covered by the Accident Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1992.
Legal liability for Defense Costs and Penalties, other than criminal or specifically excluded Acts, arising out of an occurrence connected with the business.
Professional Services: Provision of Training Services in the Natural Health Profession.
$2,000,000 each occurrence
$2,000,000 in the aggregate
$500,000 in the aggregate
(i.e. allocated split of up to $200,000 Defence Costs & up to $300,000 Damages)
$500,000 in the aggregate
$500,000 any one claim and in the aggregate
Please contact the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand office to arrange.
Cover starts as soon as the office of the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand receives your payment.
The Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand insurance cover runs for 12 months from 1 April to 31 March of the following year. Your Student Membership will need to be renewed annually during your training period.
$1,000 per claim, except $500 for Public Liability, including costs and expenses
No. To reduce administration, which can be a large part of the insurance cost, you will only be given a Certificate of Insurance. A copy of the full policy is available for inspection at the offices of the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand.
The insurance is provided by AIG Insurance New Zealand Limited and is arranged by The Insurance Brokers, the insurance adviser to the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand. Our Broker, Lesley Scher, has considerable experience in arranging covers of this type and has access to a panel of specialist legal advisers to assist you with claims.
- Any claim or incident that may lead to a claim must be notified to NHPNZ or Lesley Sher at The Insurance Brokers immediately. A ‘claim’ would include receiving any written or verbal demand, any writ, summons, application or other legal or arbitral proceedings, cross claim and counter claim alleging any breach of professional duty.
- Your current policy also requires you to advise the Insurer as soon as practicable of any circumstances of which you become aware during the policy period which would give rise to a claim. We therefore recommend an overly cautious approach to notify such situations.
- When notifying any matter to any of the parties detailed above and overleaf, please ensure that the following information is provided (as a minimum) name of the claimant; nature of the claim; when and how did you first become aware of this complaint; copies of all correspondence relating to the claim.
- DO NOT at any time attempt to respond to a claim without the prior consent of the NHPNZ or your Insurance Broker. To do so could prejudice your right to cover under the Policy.
- DO NOT appoint Legal Council or incur Legal Costs without reference to and prior consent from the NHPNZ or your Insurance Broker.
- DO NOT admit liability at any time in any circumstance.
- NEVER make any reference to the existence of an Insurance Policy to any potential claimant, as this may indicate access to ‘unlimited monetary resources’ and may result in the claimant never giving up on their claim.