Please note: Indemnity Insurance cover period runs from 1st April to 31 March each year so if you join part way through the year the Insurance premium is still due 1st April each year, the Insurance Company do not pro-rata costs.

Q. Do registered Practitioners need to take out the cover?

A. To be a registered Practitioner/Member of the NHPNZ you are required to have Insurance Cover. The NHPNZ Insurance Policy is a comprehensive, and best value policy possible, that will cover you for all the modalities that you are qualified and registered with, in your Natural Therapy or Natural Medicine practice.

Q. I am a Student . How do I obtain cover?

A. Student Member: you need to be training with a “recognised training establishment” or Professional Association of NHPNZ. Complete a Student Member Insurance Application form which can be downloaded from the website. Return the Application form to the NHPNZ office with your payment.  Confirmation of the cover and a tax invoice will be sent to you.

Q. What business activities am I covered for?

A. The cover is for your practice of natural healthcare and training you may provide to others as part of this practice. If you provide training as a main part of your business or you are involved in selling products (other than as an incidental to your practice) you may need additional cover.

Q. I practice in more than one modality. Am I still covered?

A. As long as you are a current member of a Professional Association/Training Establishment that recognises your modality/ies or have those modalities registered with NHPNZ and have paid the required premium you are covered for all of those modalities.

Q. How much cover is provided?

A. The amount of cover provided under each section of the policy is shown on the specimen Certificate of Insurance. This should be more than adequate for the likely cost of claims in New Zealand although lease agreements or other contractual arrangements may require a higher Public Liability limit

Q. What if I require a higher Public Liability limit?

A. Please contact the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand Office to arrange.

Q. When does cover start?

A. Cover starts as soon as the NHPNZ Office receives your payment and signed and dated application.

Q. How long does the cover run?

A. The cover runs to 1 April each year which is the renewal date of the NHPNZ insurance programme.

Q. If my cover runs for less than a year is the cost reduced?

A. No. This is because the insurance protects you for all work you have done in the past (provided you are not already aware of a problem) not just for work done after the insurance commences.

Q. Do I have to pay anything towards the cost of a claim?

A. Yes. You have to pay the first $1,000 of any claim or costs incurred which is called the Excess.

Q. Do I get a policy document?

A. No. To reduce administration, which can be a large part of the insurance cost, you will only be given a Certificate of Insurance. A copy of the full policy is available for inspection at the NHPNZ offices.

Q. I sometimes go to overseas to lecture or provide tuition. Am I still covered?

A. The Territorial and Jurisdictional limits of the Insurance policy only covers you and your practice in NZ. However, cover for short term visits to Australia can be arranged.

An additional policy and fee applies and it covers you for numerous short periods during the financial year.  Please contact the NHPNZ Office to arrange.

Q. Who is the insurer?

A. The insurance is provided by QBE Ltd and is arranged by “The Insurance Brokers Ltd”, the insurance adviser to the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand Inc. The underwriters at QBE and our Insurance Broker, have considerable experience in arranging covers of this type and have access to a panel of specialist legal advisers to assist you with claims.

Q. What do I do in the event of a claim or complaint?

A. Do not engage in dialogue or admit responsibility and do not incur any costs without the insurer’s agreement.

As a first step, you should contact the Natural Health Practitioners of New Zealand Inc They will assist you with the procedures to follow and the formally send notification to insurers.